CENTER FOR VIRUS RESEARCH
Centre for Virus Research (CVR) is the oldest of the centers in KEMRI. This center has eight laboratories/Units located within KEMRI Headquarters and KEMRI research campuses within Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) compound.
Key facilities include:
- Arbovirus & Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers
- HIV and AIDS
- HIV (Annex site)
- Viral Hepatitis
- Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI) Diseases (Polio & Measles Eradication)
- Viral Diarrhea
- Human Papilloma Viruses
- Influenza and other Acute Respiratory Infections (ARIs)
- Level 3 Containment Facility (BSL3)
- Cold Room
To improve human health and quality of life through virology research, surveillance, outbreak investigations and response and inform policy, service delivery and capacity building.
To be a leading Centre of excellence in virology research, surveillance, response to viral disease outbreaks, service delivery and capacity building.
- Acute arboviruses & hemorrhagic fevers: epidemiology, surveillance, outbreak investigations and control.
- Influenza and other Influenza and other Acute Respiratory Infections (ARI), epidemiology, diagnosis, etiology, management, outbreak investigations and control.
- Viral diarrhea: studies on etiology, epidemiology, management and control; vaccine trials and molecular characterization.
- Viral hepatitis: epidemiology, etiology, diagnosis, outbreak investigations and control.
- Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI) diseases (Polio and Measles: Support AFP-Polio and measles surveillance and eradication programs, vaccine potency evaluation, Polio environmental surveillance.
- HIV and AIDS: Epidemiology, Phenotypic and Genotypic characterization, Prevention and Control, Drug resistance surveillance, QA/QC in HIV programs, Window period and transfusion safety studies, HIV Diagnostic services: Viral Load, EID, PCR, Operational Research in HIV/AIDS and Training.
- Customer Focus
- Team Work
- Uprightness and integrity